Sites to visit for information on family fun!
Summer Activities for Families
New York’s month-by-month kids’ events calendar for 2017
Young and Free NYC
New York Public Library: Kids!
Read, Read, Read!
PS 15’s Summer Reading Challenge is on!
Summer is here, but that doesn’t mean reading and learning should stop. Young readers who don’t continue to read over the summer, especially those who are reluctant or at-risk, are likely to lose crucial ground. One summer off can sometimes mean a whole school year of academic struggle. If a student does not read, achievement typically declines an average of three months between June and September.
Research shows that children who read consistently throughout the summer not only maintain their skills, but often make reading gains!
What you can do:
- Hang the reading log on the fridge as a reminder
- Visit your local library
- Talk to the librarian about your child
- Help your child choose interesting books to read
- Borrow as many books as you can
- With your child, select a daily time to read
- Monitor your child’s reading and maintain the reading log
- Talk to your child about the book he/she is reading
- Remind your child about the special reading medal he/she will receive in September.
Click here to download the Summer Reading Log and Online Resources.